Friday, April 30, 2010

Senior Reflections - Part 1


By Brian Weisser, '10, Phi Sigma Kappa

As I prepare to attend my final day of class as a Lehigh undergraduate student, I have to take a moment to reflect on my career here over the past four years. As many of my peers would agree, Lehigh has certainly prepared me very well to take that step outside of academia and into the ‘real world.’ However, I can easily say that knowledge and experience I have gathered has not only come from the classroom, but also from the roles I have assumed in various organizations.


Greek life at Lehigh is an excellent stage for students to develop their leadership skills and build their character. The culture of Lehigh is one that challenges its students to continually grow as a person and strengthen the talents needed to lead a successful career. In addition to that, a leadership role in the Lehigh Greek Community affords students an early experience in managing time, people, and money.


Having been involved with my fraternity’s chapter leadership, IFC executive board, and the Peer Value Educators program, I personally feel that I am a better person having applied myself outside of the classroom in addition to schoolwork. In the process, I have truly defined myself and am very grateful for the choices I have made. While I owe much of my experience and gained knowledge to the dedication of my peers and the Lehigh staff, I will carry these with me after I leave Lehigh. When I look back on my college days, I may forget a few of the topics covered in class, but I will never forget the personal growth that being a leader has provided me.