Friday, August 6, 2010

Awards & Achievement with AGD


By Taylor Kite, '12, Alpha Gamma Delta

When I found out that I was going to be attending this summer’s Alpha Gamma Delta Convention a few months ago, I was not sure what to expect. Would it be fun? Overwhelming? Informative? Exhausting? Well, I can honestly say that my experience at Convention this June in Tampa, Florida was all of these things, but all in a good way. I was fortunate enough to have Gwen Hauck ‘12, Ari Stillman ‘13, and our advisor Montana Clelland ’09, accompany me on this adventure. It was fun getting to know sisters from all over the country, including two special alums from our Zeta Beta chapter here at Lehigh University. One of these women, Mary Beth Morabito ’85, currently serves on International Council. It was such an honor to be able to sit down and talk with her about both Lehigh and Alpha Gamma Delta memories. Another sister I connected with was a woman who was 80 years old and had been to many Conventions. After talking with her for a little while, I asked where she went to college. As it turns out, she grew up just down the street from my home in Cincinnati, Ohio. We talked more about her college and high school experiences, and by the end of the conversation we determined that she graduated with my grandfather and remembered him quite vividly. This remarkable encounter touched me in ways that I cannot articulate in words, but I am positive it will stick with me forever. It is moments like this one that Convention was all about.

The Leadership Institute sponsored the break out meetings and discussions, which were enlightening, engaging, and spirited from start to finish. We learned everything from the best way to handle conflict to how to better relate to alums, from recruitment ideas to how to make each chapter dollar spread even further. All the attendees were eager to share their respective best practices and ideas with everyone else, which reflected the general atmosphere of sisterly bonding and encouragement that surrounded Convention. It was rewarding to see how your own ideas really helped one chapter, and to in turn learn some things from them.

At the awards ceremony, our chapter was honored to receive several awards including Strive for Pi, which awards chapters with an overall GPA of 3.14 or higher; a Quota and Total award; the Myra Vedder Foxworthy Panhellenic Honor Roll; Rose Bowl Honor Roll; and Annulet Honor Roll, the highest honor for an Alpha Gamma Delta chapter. To be able to accept these awards on behalf of my Zeta Beta sisters and the hard work and dedication they put into the chapter helped me realize how incredible my sisters really are. It also inspired the four of us to work over the next year as leaders in our chapter to ensure that we continue to maintain this high standard and even raise the bar. While it is always nice to see when your hard work pays off, there is always room for growth. Keeping this in mind, we look forward to incorporating everything we learned at this summer’s Convention into our daily chapter functions back at Lehigh, and it never hurts to work towards these awards for the 2012 Convention!