Friday, March 14, 2014

Phi Kappa Theta Helps Orphanage Over Spring Break







Orchid Foundation, Inc., a non-profit corporation, is dedicated to the continued service and maintenance of the Armando Rosenberg Home and School. The orphanage, located in Sabana Perdida, the largest barrio in Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic, currently houses one hundred and forty children from throughout the Dominican Republic. There are, in addition, seven hundred students who walk to school from surrounding areas for education. Two new High School buildings have recently been completed with a daily occupancy of 1200.

This year members of Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity spent their time painting buildings and doing general labor around the facilities. Two of the members speak English and Spanish and were able to spend time with the teachers to help teach them English so that they can pass this knowledge down to the students. Members also spent plenty of time interacting with the children, who often do not get the attention they deserve and need.



A reflection from Eric Glocke, '16:
Brothers Reborn

            Let me start by saying this was my second time visiting the Dominican Republic for community service with the brothers of Phi Kappa Theta.  Both times have been very different, from the work we did, to the overall experience.  During my first time there, I simply was a general participant of the trip, however, this second time around, I was lucky enough to lead my fellow brothers on the trip, which I hoped to share the same experience I had, my first go around.  I learned, however, it was best to let each individual see and discover for themselves.  I simply want to say, that during this trip I saw a different side of every brother and could not be more proud to consider them my brothers who will be there long after we graduate.  With each passing day, the way they carried themselves and became closer to those we worked with at the orphanage, and closer with each other, over their shared experiences, truly humbled me.  I saw egos break down, perspectives change and reflection upon their own lives and how they swore to push themselves, to never forget how truly blessed we are and to never forget the many children who impacted them so greatly.  My only regret is not being able to share this experience with every brother of Phi Kappa Theta, but at the same time it’s true that each individual will create their own if given the opportunity. 




Thanks to the generous donations of friends, family, and Phi Kappa Theta alumni, eleven members of Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity participated in this wonderful experience. Please consider donating to help future members participate in this opportunity:  http://ignite.lehigh.edu/pkt