Friday, October 7, 2016

Feature Friday: Dan Ritter, Delta Chi



Next up in Feature Friday (where members of the Greek community share reflections on their Lehigh experience) is Dan Ritter from Delta Chi!

This past summer I was offered an internship in the Office of Student Leadership Development, a division of the Dean of Students office that, through the programs and initiatives they provide for students each year, help students become leaders in the campus community. Although I was unsure what the internship would actually entail, I could have never imagined the benefits that the few short months would bring. Not only did I have the opportunity to meet other Lehigh students, faculty, and staff that I would not have otherwise met, but I was able to work on several different tasks and projects that helped me develop skills that I know will benefit me in the future.  

One of the ways that my internship this summer has already started to have a positive impact is through my experience in my fraternity, Delta Chi. One of my largest projects as an intern was to design the Student Leadership Kickoff, which involved planning, organizing, and coordinating several different aspects such as catering, decorations, and invitations. Through that planning process, I was able to gain invaluable project management skills. These skills will definitely be able to help me in future work within my fraternity, such as helping to plan out a philanthropy event or a brotherhood retreat. Balancing various tasks throughout my internship experience, and learning time management from doing so, will undoubtedly help me in my fraternity experience. Between classes, extracurricular activities, and being in a fraternity, there are often a lot of tasks that I have to balance my time between. After more practice with time management this summer, I know that I will be able to effectively balance all of my commitments, and because of this I will be able to dedicate time to Delta Chi in order to help accomplish tasks that the chapter must complete.

One of my favorite aspects of my internship this summer was my role as a ropes course facilitator. Although I was already a ropes course facilitator prior to beginning my internship, I was able to facilitate for a variety of group over the summer, which helped me gain experience in facilitating teambuilding activities and helping groups address the challenges they faced or objectives that they wished to achieve. Facilitating has become something that I love to do, and I hope to be able to facilitate different activities and teambuilding exercises for Delta Chi over the course of the year so that we can grow as a brotherhood and address any challenges that we may face as the year goes on.

I am so grateful for the experience that I had over the summer with the OSLD, and I am excited and eager to see the benefits that will come from the experience that I had.