Friday, September 15, 2017

Feature Friday: Evan Chansky, Theta Chi










Check out our first student Feature Friday of the fall semester...Evan Chansky from Theta Chi!  Thanks Evan for sharing your experience!

Being an Orientation Leader was easily the most exciting, rewarding, and impactful thing I have done here at Lehigh. I learned more about myself, leadership skills, and intrapersonal relations than ever before, and I am so excited to bring all of that back to both Theta Chi and the entire Greek community.

Not only that, I made 80 amazing, unique, fun friends – some of who I might not have interacted with normally. The OLs are not only the coolest, funniest, and silliest people I have ever met, they are perhaps one of the most representative groups of Lehigh’s campus. Out of about 80 OLs, at least 10 of the Greek chapters were represented, as well as pretty much every club and organization on campus. 

Being an OL was a great way to escape the sometimes-restrictive Greek bubble, and it was refreshing to start off the school year with a group of such varied people. I think often by the end of the academic year we become so rooted in our own microcosms of Lehigh. Starting off the year not only with this representative group of Lehigh students but the first-years as well set the tone for re-imagining the Lehigh culture in a more positive light. All the OLs looked to see the bigger picture of the Lehigh community while drawing from their own personal experiences. As for the first years, they enter Lehigh with a genuine excitement for everything and their own idea of Lehigh culture. All in all we have way more in common than different and it was amazing to see everyone working together to give the first-years the best experience possible.

I am so excited to start off this year with a fresh energy and perspective on our Lehigh community, and I can’t wait to keep building my friendships with people both in and out of the Greek community that I made from this amazing week.   

Definitely apply to be an OL when applications come out in the winter!!!