Friday, October 20, 2017

Feature Friday: Holly Gwydir, Alpha Phi





The CGE gives us another fantastic blog post, this week from from Holly Gwydir!

Like most college freshman, I entered Lehigh feeling enormously overwhelmed. I had no idea what I wanted to do or where to go, but I knew that I needed to find two things: somewhere that I could feel comfortable to be myself, and somewhere that I could pursue my many passions. I was fortunate enough to find both of these things in more than one place on Lehigh’s campus. The first place I discovered this was in my chapter during formal recruitment. In Alpha Phi, I found women who were kind, intelligent, and fun-loving, somewhere that I felt at home, and a structure that would allow me to pursue my goals and passions in a way that had the potential to benefit a whole group of people. I had this same discovery one year later in the Center for Gender Equity (formerly the Women’s Center), and today I am lucky enough to still be a member of both groups.

As a freshman in Alpha Phi, I fell in love with Greek life. Don’t get me wrong, I will not pretend that it doesn’t have its problems- Greek life is far from perfect. It tends to be non-inclusive, sexist, and overly competitive. However, it is also centered on the values of philanthropy and helping others, as well as individual and group empowerment. It is a place where so many men and women have found other people that they now call family, in an organization that allows them to learn leadership skills and excel in any way that they desire. It is my philosophy that you should never discount something just because it has flaws, because if you do, you’ll end up overlooking all of the positives and lose out on something that can be incredibly beneficial. Because of this, I have been actively working towards reforming Greek life through my work in the Center for Gender Equity.

The Center for Gender Equity aims to create a more inclusive campus where members from every gender will have the same opportunities and chances for success. This goal is not far from that of Greek life, as sororities were originally created to empower the first generation of college women and help them to support one another against the hostility they experienced on male dominated campuses. In the CGE, I found a place that recognized my anger at the gender inequity that still exists on campus and in Greek life and challenged me to do something about it. I found a space where I could think not only of myself and my chapter, but of all women. When I started working towards empowerment and reducing inequity in Greek life, I found that I was able to shift away from all of the worst parts of Greek life- like the inter sorority competition and emphasis on partying- and embrace the best parts- like mutual empowerment and friendship. I became more aware of Panhellenic and campus climate issues, and became more passionate about fixing them. Even more than that- through the CGE and my role in Alpha Phi, I was given the opportunity to be a part of that change. With the help of CGE staff and other Greek leaders, I hope that Lehigh can continue to make changes that can benefit everyone and create a more equal and inclusive campus for future generations of Lehigh students.