1) As Wednesday night, January 16th, Pi Beta Phi's new member program has been temporarily suspended. This action is being taken because of alleged University policy violations by the chapter and its members during the new member education process.
This temporary suspension mandates that no New Member activities of any kind may occur, either on Lehigh's campus or off-campus for Pi Beta Phi.
If this order is violated, individuals and/or Pi Beta Phi will be immediately charged with further violations of the University Code of Conduct and disciplinary action will be taken.
This suspension will remain in effect until the chapter has reviewed their New Member Plan with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs. Failure to comply with the terms of this temporary suspension will result in additional charges as well as suspension of the New Member Program.
2) Chi Phi Fraternity accepted responsibility for the following charges:
- Respect for Self (Unauthorized Consumption, Distribution or Possession)
- Respect for Community (Irresponsible Distribution of Alcohol)
- Respect for Community (Posted Rules and Regulations)
The following sanctions have been imposed:
- Deferred Dissolution - Effective from January 16, 2014 through May 31, 2014
- Disciplinary Probation - Effective from May 31, 2014 through May 31, 2015
- Educational Sanction - Prior to alcohol being reintroduced into the chapter facility, the chapter will work with OFSA and their alumni to develop a plan to manage alcohol on at on-campus and off-campus events. This plan may not be implemented until after Spring 2015 recruitment.
- Alcohol Free Housing - Effective from January 16, 2014 through February 15, 2015
Additionally, the Briarfield Society, Chi Phi's Alumni Corporation has issued the following sanctions:
- Beginning Spring 2014, the loss of housing privilege and designation to alumni status of six members directly involved and/or responsible for the event
- Dry / Social Probation for 1 year (2 semesters)
- Brother Self Evaluations
- Spring 2014 Semester Monthly Inspections for alcohol and beer games equipment
- 3-Day New Member Education Programming
- Chapter Educational Programming on bystander intervention
- "Realignment Retreat" for actives and alumni
- Public Accountability via chapter reflections on the OFSA Blog