On April 15, 2014, Lehigh University charged the Sigma Chi Chapter with violations of the University Code of Conduct related to the vandalism of the Umoja House that occurred on November 5, 2014.
Pending the outcome of the Student Conduct process, the Dean of Students Office has taken immediate action to issue an interim suspension of University recognition of Sigma Chi fraternity.
The charges that were filed against the chapter were:
- Respect for Others (General): Lehigh University expects that all students will act in a civil manner that reflects maturity, social responsibility, and respect towards others and the Lehigh Community.
- Respect for Others (B –Harassment): As defined in the Lehigh University Policy on Harassment:
- Respect for Others (E - Interference): Intentionally or recklessly interfering with the activities sponsored by, affiliated with or participated in by members of the university community, including but not limited to studying, teaching, research, administration, fire prevention, police activities, emergency services, and the activities of student organizations.
- Respect of Others (F – Risk of Harm): Other conduct which threatens or endangers the health or safety of any person or group of people.
- Respect for Property (A - Vandalism): Intentionally or recklessly interfering with the property of another, including taking without permission, destroying, defacing, or damaging the property of another.
- Respect for Property (E - Gross Disregard): The theft, mutilation, destruction, defacing, and/or gross disregard of any Lehigh property.
- Respect for Community (A - False Information): Intentionally furnishing false information to a university official, hearing panel, or Conduct Officer.
- Respect for Community (E - Failure to Comply): Failure to comply with the reasonable requests of university officials (including law enforcement) while acting in the performance of their duties.
- Respect for Community (J - Encouraging Others): Encouraging or facilitating others in actions that violate the Code of Conduct.
- Respect for Self (A – Unauthorized Alcohol): The unauthorized or illegal consumption, distribution, or possession of alcohol.