Friday, January 15, 2016

Harassment and Gender Violence Training Update

Members of the Lehigh fraternity and sorority community participated in Harassment and Gender Violence training across Fall 2015.  This training was provided by the Office of the General Counsel alongside Gender Violence Education and Support in an effort to strengthen the Lehigh University community and foster an environment that is welcoming, inclusive, and safe for all.

With the training effort coming to a close, we’d like to provide you with an update and share next steps:

§  Eighteen training sessions were offered across the fall semester.  Special thanks to the facilitators for leading this herculean effort.

§  1154 fraternity and sorority members across 32 organizations or 73.2% of affiliated students have completed the training.  This is 1.8% away from our overall participation goal of 75% of affiliated students.

§  Many chapters exceeded the goal and 75% or more of their members complete the training.  Special shout out to these fraternities and sororities for their effort and awesomeness!!
o    Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. (100%)
o    Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. (100%)
o    Lambda Sigma Upsilon Latino Fraternity, Inc. (100%)
o    Mu Sigma Upsilon Sorority, Inc. (100%)
o    Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. (100%)
o    Alpha Chi Omega (95.1%)
o    Alpha Gamma Delta (92.4%)
o    Chi Psi (90.6%)
o    Pi Beta Phi (89.9%)
o    Kappa Delta (87.2%)
o    Psi Upsilon (86.8%)
o    Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. (85.7%)
o    Phi Sigma Kappa (81.3%)
o    Alpha Phi (81%)
o    Alpha Epsilon Pi (80.8%)
o    Alpha Tau Omega (79.1%)
o    Theta Xi (78.8%)
o    Delta Chi (76.2%)
o    Kappa Alpha (76.1%)
o    Kappa Sigma (75.8%)
o    Pi Kappa Alpha (75.4%)
o    Gamma Phi Beta (75.3%)

§  Additional makeup sessions will be offered in Spring 2016 so that the 75% overall participation goal can be reached—we’re so close and confident that we can achieve this!!  In sum, ten organizations have not yet me the 75% participation goal for their individual members.  They include the following:
o    Kappa Alpha Theta (73.2%)
o    Alpha Omicron Pi (69.9%)
o    Zeta Tau Alpha (69.1%)
o    Phi Kappa Theta (67.5%)
o    Phi Delta Theta (66.7%)
o    Delta Upsilon (65.9%)
o    Sigma Phi Epsilon (55.4%)
o    Chi Phi (54.9%)
o    Theta Chi (43.2%)
o    Sigma Chi (25%)
Yikes!! My chapter can do better.  When are the makeup sessions?
Two makeup sessions will be offered in the spring semester and everyone that has not yet completed the training is encouraged to attend.  Makeup sessions will be offered at the following dates/times:
§  Wednesday, February 3, 2016 @ 4:10PM (Location TBD)
§  Thursday, February 18, 2016 @ 5:10PM (Location TBD)
§  Additionally, each affiliated student that hasn’t participated in the training will receive an invitation to do so via email.

Can I find out which members haven’t completed the training?
Yes!! Email us and we’ll provide you with a current list of members from your chapter that have completed the training.

What if my chapter does not participate?  Again, this training is provided in an effort to strengthen the Lehigh University community and foster an environment that is welcoming, inclusive, and safe for all.  Additionally, this training is mandated by the Office of the General Counsel and failure to participate can result in Code of Conduct charges for failure to comply.  

If my chapter has fulfilled the requirement, what’s in store for us next?
Harassment and Gender Violence training will now be offered to fraternities and sororities every two years and in a rotation with a number of other athletic teams, organizations, and clubs.  We’ll be in touch again come Fall 2017.  However, if your chapter would like to further explore this topic, please let us know and we’re happy to provide follow up trainings, workshops, discussions, etc. that meet your chapter’s needs.