Friday, February 10, 2017

Feature Friday: Bri Barker, Alpha Gamma Delta





Feature Friday is back!  First up, Bri Barker from Alpha Gamma Delta...


I began working as a Ropes Course Coordinator the fall semester of my sophomore year. I had participated in the ropes course as a first year during FYE weekend, and the positive experience I had during it made me want to share that with future participants.

Being a part of the Office of Student Leadership Development as well as being a sorority member has given me a new perspective on working with others that has helped me grow as a person and a leader. Being a member of Alpha Gamma Delta has shown me how important it is to communicate and understand one another to accomplish goals set together as a chapter. Seeing what is needed to help a chapter run smoothly has helped me as a facilitator when other fraternity and sorority groups participate in the ropes course. Knowing what is like to be a member of a sorority has helped me cater courses so that other member classes or executive boards can get the most out of the course and bring back what they have learned to their chapters.

As a Ropes Course Coordinator, I am in contact with a variety of clubs and organizations, both Greek and non-Greek, on campus as well as groups in the Bethlehem community. This position has allowed me to meet new people and make new connections on campus. It has taught me that anyone can have an impact on someone else’s day or even his or her Lehigh experience and that one should always try to make it positive.

I handle a lot of the ropes course logistics and paperwork as a coordinator and it has taught me a lot about being accountable and taking responsibility for my actions. I try to take these lessons and apply them to my actions in my sorority by following through if I say I am going to a philanthropy event or even just helping out a fellow sister. I believe being a member of Alpha Gamma Delta has made me a better Ropes Course Coordinator and vice versa.


I appreciate that I am lucky enough to be a part of two amazing organizations on campus, each shaping me in different ways. My hope for the future is to have my chapter participate in the course for a sisterhood event so I can share this fun experience with them.