Friday, September 22, 2017

Feature Friday: Gaby Montes, Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc.




Huge thanks to this week's Feature Friday, Gabriela Montes!  

Community service, social justice, education, and sisterhood. Through my involvement in both the Community Service Office and my sorority, these themes remain at the core of my daily experiences and complement one another well. I love being both a CSOer and a member of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Incorporated. Both positions have taught me so much and made me into a stronger leader and better individual. It is great to bring what I learn in the CSO back to my sorority and the Cultural Greek Council.

The Community Service Office has helped me become a better leader and has helped me to fully understand and know how to share with others the value of meaningful service and the grandiose importance of working together with one’s community. Meaningful service calls one to be in communication with their community and to know their needs at that point in time. This communication allows them to know how they can best work with their community. Working in the CSO has also allowed me to understand how important the connections we have with our community partners are because in the past they did not exist. The community and Lehigh used to not work together at all and it was as if there was a large barrier between the two. I find it important to remember this historical context and not take the partnerships for granted.

My membership in Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Incorporated has also honed my leadership skills and with the emphasis on the principles of unity, love and respect, allowed me to continue my passion for service and spread it to even more people! I have the ability to not only teach my sisters about meaningful service, but to carry lessons about communicating well with partners, ensuring we work “with” people rather than “for”, and many others to our chapter and council. I have also been able to use my frame of reference from my work in the CSO to bring ideas out into the community and foster those relationships.

It is my goal to always continue to learn from my involvement in these amazing organizations and share such lessons with others and our community in impactful ways.