Friday, November 3, 2017

Feature Friday: Lindsay Wilson, Alpha Phi


 
Being an Orientation Leader at Lehigh is easily the most rewarding and impactful experience I will have at Lehigh. Getting to start off the year working with 80 other people who are just as eager to meet the first-years and make new friends is incredibly refreshing. This was my second time serving as an OL and it was definitely the most meaningful to me. Shifting from my role as a first year OL to my role as a returner OL required a change in mindset in order to succeed. As a returner, I wanted to mentor the first-time OLs and help them feel comfortable in their new role. My experience in Alpha Phi helped me prepare for this role since I serve as a mentor to the younger girls in my chapter. I am very involved on campus and always encourage my sisters to participate in on-campus events and really take advantage of all of the incredible opportunities Lehigh has to offer. My experience in Alpha Phi helped me feel confident taking on more of a leadership role within Orientation this year.


I think the best thing about Orientation is that it encourages you to step out of your comfort zone and interact with people you might not have met otherwise. I think the Lehigh Greek community could really improve by adopting the open and inclusive environment that the Office of the First Year Experience (OFYE) has worked so hard to create. Being able to look beyond our own chapters and meet people in all different chapters and groups on campus would help propel the Greek community to do even greater things for the overall Lehigh Community.

We only have four years at Lehigh and we must make every second of it count. My best advice as both a member of the Greek community and an Orientation Leader is step out of your comfort zone. Make an effort to meet new people and try new things!  

Serving as an Orientation Leader has helped me to be a more thoughtful and impactful member of the Greek community and person. Apply to be an OL when the applications come out!