Friday, February 23, 2018

Feature Friday: Julius Wibisono, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.





Get excited to hear about the 2018 Association of Fraternal Leadership & Values Conference experience in the coming weeks! First up, Julius Wibisono!

Once being offered the opportunity to attend the Association of Fraternal Leadership & Values Conference in Indianapolis, I couldn’t have been more excited to network and to learn about what workshops that they have organized for its participants. My first full day at the conference, I learned that organizations that fall under the Multicultural Greek Council find it difficult to be exposed around their campus. Despite having to throw multiple events throughout their campus, these multicultural Greek organizations still struggle to gain exposure. Through the help of my peers whom were present at AFLV, I began to realize that the root of the problem derives from the campus climate and one member even mentioned that it can also come from the lack of effort from the organization’s members. Although Kappa Alpha Psi does not fall under MGC, I took that lesson into account and began to form ways on how I can push and implement more effort from my chapter. One of the ways is to bond. By spending some time in fellowship with my chapter members, I believe that the amount of contribution that they have and will put on this campus and on this fraternity, will always be valued and recognized. Another way is to emphasize that legacy within our chapter is very, very essential. Omicron Kappa of Kappa Alpha Psi is a small, yet close chapter - meaning that although we don’t stress the quantitative aspect within the fraternity, we do value the quality characteristics of each individual that are present in this chapter. Somehow, and some way, we must leave a legacy so that future members can follow our good, and learn from our bad.

What surprised me most throughout the conference was the amount of brothers that came from Kappa Alpha Psi. During AFLV, it was my first time being exposed to that many brothers from my fraternity ever since I became a proud member of this bond. The way we interacted and bonded was something that I had not expected and I am very happy to say that I networked very well. Being able to know brothers from the University of Minnesota to UNC Charlotte is something I know that will be useful for me in both the short and the long run, and of course, it is one of the opportunities that I will not take for granted. What didn’t surprise me was the additional bonding and friendships that I made with my Lehigh Friends. Cyrus, Tom, Isabel and Gaby were all wonderful companions and the amount of love and support that they will have from me is indescribable. I was very lucky to have spent an extra 6 hour layover with them, and what’s better than that? Of course, Corey, who was very patient and helpful throughout our trip!