Friday, April 6, 2018

Feature Friday: Erin Hank, Zeta Tau Alpha





Major kudos to Erin Hank, ZTA for such a thought provoking piece! 

This past fall semester, I had the opportunity to expand my Greek life experience at Lehigh by becoming a student leader for Greek Allies. I began attending Greek Allies meetings last year in the fall of my sophomore year as the liaison for my chapter, Zeta Tau Alpha, and I immediately loved having a space to critically analyze diversity and inclusion in our community.

When I first came to Lehigh, I appreciated how Greek life gave students the opportunity to join values-based organizations with like-minded individuals. I joined ZTA because the women I met were kind, supportive and hard-working. I found purpose in our philanthropy, Breast Cancer Education and Awareness, and opportunity in our community service efforts. However, I found it difficult to ignore the ways in which Greek life as a whole falls short. Historically, fraternal organizations were created as a space for undergraduates to openly discuss social issues on their campuses. Over time, it appears that we have strayed from those founding principles. The media frequently portray students in Greek life as a bunch of wild 20-year-olds who only care about alcohol. Although from experience I knew that this was not the reality, I still felt responsible for the way that Greek life was viewed. We have one of the largest platforms in the university setting to create the communities that we want to live in, so why did it feel like we were not taking advantage of it?

Greek Allies has provided me, and many others, the opportunity to break through our chapter barriers, compare positive and negative experiences, and work together to find solutions to many of the social issues we face on campus. My experience leading Greek Allies has given me an increased confidence to have difficult conversations with many other people in my community. One of the most impactful activities we’ve done takes a close look at individual identities and privileges. The discussion includes discussing which identity you are most aware of on a daily basis, least aware of, and which garners you the most and least privilege, etc. Although we appear to live such similar lives as college students, this activity really highlights the way our identities shape our daily lives. I find myself learning so much from those around me who have such insightful comments about our community in relation to the world. I have been able to take the lessons I’ve learned about the influence of intersectionality, toxic masculinity, and stereotypes on our daily lives back to my chapter.

The mission of Greek Allies, to expand inclusivity and diversity in our community, truly brings fraternal organizations back to their root of social groups focused on social issues, and not just alcohol. This semester, Greek Allies has given the opportunity to individual chapters to host a Greek Allies meeting at their chapter house and, by doing so, we truly emphasize how our chapters should be accepting of all peoples. Additionally, we are partnering with Panhellenic and SPEAK to bring the conversation of trans-inclusion to Panhellenic chapters.

I have been inspired by all the kind, intelligent, and compassionate people I have met during my time in Greek Allies. I have learned so much from them, and continue to learn more each and every day. One particular lesson of which I am continuously reminded is that, despite all of our differences and outward identities, we are all much more similar than we know. The willingness to open up to new people and form new bonds is one of the most essential skills we can have. Many of the conversations we have engaged in during our Greek Allies meeting have inspired me to pursue further leadership opportunities, including Greek Emerging Leaders and Leadershape. I am beyond grateful to be able to be a part of such an amazing group of students. I appreciate that we receive such great support from OFSA, the Pride Center, and all three councils. The support I receive from everyone I’ve met through Greek Allies, and the lessons I continue to learn from them, will continue to inspire me to work and lead with integrity.