Monday, September 23, 2019

Summer Spotlight: Vin Albanese

Our current IFC President, Vin Albanese, attended UIFI earlier this summer. Here is his reflection...

This summer, I was fortune to have the opportunity to attend the Undergraduate Interfraternity
Institute (UIFI), which is hosted by the North-American Interfraternity Conference (NIC). The
five-day experience, which was held at the University of Indiana – Bloomington, gave me the
opportunity to connect with numerous fraternity and sorority members from across the country.
The interesting part about the conference was attendees were not necessarily in leadership
positions for their chapters or councils, but included general members simply looking to make a
positive change. Some had just finished their first year of college, and to see them there
participating, searching for ideas, and becoming better leaders was inspiring.

Having been to a few leadership retreats at this point in my college career, I have come to realize
the real value for myself lies in being able to meet new people. This is important to me, because I
am able to learn about their experiences in either a fraternity or sorority at a variety of colleges
and universities. During meals and free time, I took the chance to converse with many of the
facilitators of the event. Facilitators work for various organizations, including National Headquarters, independent companies, or student affairs at certain schools. Speaking with these professionals in our field, taught me a lot about how different schools, such as Purdue or Oklahoma State, are structured and the procedures they have in place to create a meaningful undergraduate Greek experience. I was able to fly home from UIFI knowing I have great friends and resources away from the Lehigh Community should I ever need guidance.