Friday, October 27, 2017

Feature Friday: Haley Donovan, Kappa Delta

My name is Haley Donovan, and I’m currently a sophomore and a member of Kappa Delta. During my first year I decided to apply to become an Orientation Leader, and was luckily selected for a position on the OFYE staff. Becoming an OL was one of the most rewarding and fun experiences that I have had at Lehigh so far. I’ve been fortunate enough to make great new friends through the process and create memories that I’m sure we’ll talk about for the remainder of our time at Lehigh. 

For me, deciding to join Greek Life was an easy decision and I’ve loved being part of a chapter with so many women that I connect to and can rely on for anything. I’ve also loved how joining a chapter allows students to become more involved in the Lehigh community through philanthropy events and other opportunities. However, I still wanted the chance to work with people outside of my own chapter or even outside of Greek Life altogether in order to truly get the most out of my time at Lehigh and expand my connections to different groups on campus. Working on the OFYE staff has allowed me to meet members of many different fraternities and sororities as well as students who are not involved in Greek Life at all, but often had a lot to share about different clubs and organizations that they were passionate about. 

One of the most important things that being an Orientation Leader has taught me as a sorority member was that Lehigh has so much to offer outside of an individual chapter or even Greek Life as a whole. I often hear people say that it is easy to get caught up in a type of social bubble within Greek Life or that there is some level of distance between non-Greek students and those who are involved in Greek Life. Meeting students from all across campus has reminded me that finding outside interests via clubs or other means is a great way to reach another level of involvement on campus and have a well-rounded experience while at Lehigh. 

In addition to expanding my interests on campus, working with the OFYE has taught me how to be a more effective leader and problem solver, which I believe can be useful within my chapter. Much of the Orientation Leader training revolves around connecting with all of the students within the groups that we are assigned to and addressing everyone’s concerns. This can be helpful in bringing a chapter closer together by helping each member to connect with one another more. Additionally, if a bigger decision has to be made on behalf of the chapter, keeping the interests of everyone involved can help ensure that everyone will be happier with the final result. 

Joining the OFYE has been one of the best things that I have ever become involved in. Learning how to be a better leader and team builder as well as making some amazing new friends is something that I wouldn’t have obtained as easily without this amazing experience. If anyone has even considered applying to work with the OFYE, I strongly encourage all to do so. After becoming involved, I can’t see my Lehigh experience without it.