Friday, October 6, 2017

Feature Friday: Tanairy Ortiz, Kappa Alpha Theta


What it is to be a Greek member and CGE Staff Member
-Tanairy Ortiz

It was during my first-year orientation that I was introduced to the then Women’s Center.

As part of our programming, we had to complete a list of places around the UC that we had to check off from our blue Draft Book—I happened to have chosen Track 4: Inclusive Leadership. And leadership I found, indeed.

I entered the Center and was told everything about what they did, their focus, and their goals for the Lehigh community. A week later I was on an interview with Dr. Rita Jones for a position as a graphic designer, and to be honest with you, I had no idea what I was doing. I did not know much about feminism and the importance of intersectionality. I was a recent high school graduate turned first-generation college student being thrown into a different world with a dissimilar vocabulary to learn and not much knowledge about college life. I managed my way through the interview and got the position right away.

It was at the Center that I learned about feminism, sexuality, privileges, and how every intersectionality, whether by race, color, religion, political or socioeconomic status, all ties back to being an intersectional feminist (or not being one). It was at the Center where I truly matured and learned beyond textbooks, where I met people with different backgrounds and experiences and where I’ve had the most productive and enriching conversations of my life. I was not confronted by a wall whenever I would speak to people like how I did back home; I could actually try to persuade others or have others persuade me to be more open-minded to different ideas.

It also became the place where I would interact with my now sisters, although at that time I had no idea. (It’s quite funny; one of my sisters who was also a staff member wanted to interview me about my thoughts on Greek Life for the Brown and White two semesters ago and I did. I ended up telling her that I never thought I would rush just because I had no interest in it, but here I am, writing a blog for all of you).

I tried rushing my first year to no avail; all plans fell through and no one could join that specific sorority for that semester. I decided that I was not going to rush anymore as I was devastated, but in the end, it was all for the better. I spent my first three semesters instead focusing on my studies and my work at the Women’s Center, trying my best to be as involved with the Center and everyone working/interning in it. I met visiting professors and was invited to numerous high-end events by Rita, and by the end of second semester I gave a speech for the Center’s 25th anniversary (plus creating the logo and flyers for the event). I also became the lead for our discussion series “Gender in a Global Context” where I speak about the intersectionality between globalization, feminism, politics, and everything in between.

After the much needed identity development, I decided to give rushing another try, and by the end of rush I was part of Kappa Alpha Theta. I was already close to some of them through our collaborative work at the Center, but it was in Theta where I got to immerse myself in a different setting with them, and have them lead by example as to what Theta stands for. I am glad I was able to have that familiarity with them because I was integrated to Greek Life much more smoothly than what I had expected. To this day, there are five Thetas working at the Center, with two more occasionally volunteering for scattered activities.

It makes me appreciate Greek Life more, knowing these leading women and seeing how involved they are. Some are involved with bringing Lehigh a discussion on the wage gap, some others are focusing on self-love and body image, and others are looking into the intersectionality between feminism and the LGBTQIA+ community. I have continued my work with “Gender in a Global Context” and graphic design, and I am always looking forward to helping them develop their personal projects.

Despite the many rumors and setbacks that often occurs within Greek Life, I want to remind everyone that there are many like us that are involved, that are growing, and that are developing their identities and leadership skills within and outside of Greek Life. We all are working in improving ourselves individually by getting involved with different offices, organizations, and philanthropies in hopes of changing the views of Greek Life for the better. Being both a Greek member and a staff member at the Center for Gender Equity (also known as the GE Spot, the spot where all the gender equity happens) has taught me much about how Lehigh is truly invested in their students and evolving them to be world leaders. What I learn from Theta I get to bring to the CGE and present discussions on gender and fraternities; what I learn from the CGE I get to bring to Theta and inform my sisters about new events or ideas to be discussed. It is a never-ending cycle of constant learning that I am extremely grateful to be part of.