Friday, September 28, 2018

Feature Friday: Sarah Cohen, Kappa Alpha Theta







This summer I had the opportunity to represent the Epsilon Rho chapter at Kappa Alpha Theta’s Grand Convention in Orlando, Florida. Grand Convention occurs every other year as a chance for the fraternity to conduct business and celebrate all that we have accomplished. I was able to experience being a Theta on a much larger scale by attending leadership workshops and collaborating with women from across the US and Canada.

My weekend in Orlando was filled with learning and powerful connections. I am so grateful for the opportunity to learn about the experiences women have in their own chapters and make new friendships. I left Orlando inspired by the leading women in my organization. We discussed how joining a sorority is about belonging, not fitting in. Belonging is being accepted for you, while fitting in is being accepted for being like everyone else. At Grand Convention they encouraged us to focus on having members feel like they belong and are accepted despite their differences.

I am now ready to tackle my role in the Greek community with a new perspective. Grand Convention reminded me that being in Greek Life is not always about the events or meetings but the community. As a Panhellenic community, we support women to become their best selves and encourage them to make an impact on campus. Serving on Panhellenic Exec this year as the VP Greek Relations, I hope to bring what I learned at Grand Convention back to the chapters on campus. It is important to remember and embody our chapter values to create a space where members can laugh and cry together. Grand Convention inspired me to cultivate a positive community and remind others why sororities are an important space for women today.