Friday, October 18, 2019

Feature Friday: Meet Devore McIntosh

Meet Devore!  He'll be advising the Cultural Greek Council so stop by and say hi!

Name: Devore McIntosh

Position: Assistant Director of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs

Council Advising: Cultural Greek Council
Adjunct lecturer at Wilberforce University & Central State University
Created Curriculum for restructured Greek system in terms of recruitment practices. 

Hometown: Bridgeport, CT

Educational Background: 
B.A. History/Africana Studies 
M.A. Africana Studies - State University of New York at Albany 

Greek Affiliation: Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated 

Professional Highlights:

Served as a graduate assistant over the Multicultural resource center 

Why did you decide to pursue a career in fraternity and sorority affairs?

The reason I decided to pursue a career in fraternity and sorority affairs is to positively impact the students. When you look at the landscape of collegiate campuses and where our leaders come from, many of our leaders come from organizations both fraternal in nature and non-fraternal. While navigating their collegiate journey apart of these organizations, they are groomed to be leaders not because they are in an organization but because they decided to take the risk of being a part of something that is bigger than themselves. With that being said, I feel a sense of duty to assist our young leaders to avoid the pitfalls that I may have experienced or I have learned to avoid. As a fraternity man, I can empathize the journey of those who are aligned with such organizations, so this is my chance to practice latter altruism for the next generation of leaders.

What do you hope to do during your time at Lehigh University?

My time at Lehigh is in its infancy; however, I hope to be able to grow tremendously as I am here. I expect growth both professionally and personally, and to embark on the path that I have envisioned for myself. Growth in these areas of my life will only lead to me becoming a better version of myself undergoing a metamorphosis that I could not have undergone if I was not at Lehigh. 

What has been your impression of the Lehigh Greek Community so far?

Thus far I am encouraged by the dynamism that I have come in contact with. They are incredibly bright, and comprehend what needs to be done to achieve continued success for Greek Life at Lehigh University.