Friday, November 1, 2019

Feature Friday: Meet Chloe Abshire!


Meet Chloe! She's been directing the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs since July, so stop by and say hi!
Name: Chloe Abshire

Position: Assistant Dean and Director of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs


Hometown: Washington, DC

Educational Background: 
B.A. in Communication Studies, Longwood University
M.A. in College Student Development, Appalachian State University

Greek Affiliation: Alpha Delta Pi

Professional Highlights:

Prior to working at Lehigh, I served as the Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life at my undergraduate alma mater, Longwood University, located in central Virginia. Longwood's Greek community is known as the mother of sororities, being a campus with four Alpha chapters: Kappa Delta, Sigma Sigma Sigma, Zeta Tau Alpha and Alpha Sigma Alpha. During my time at Longwood, I had the opportunity to be innovative in developing a number of educational programs such as Greek Leadership Summit, Greek Emerging Leaders Experience (GELE), Step Up to Hazing and the Greek Ambassadors peer education program. In October 2016, Longwood hosted the Vice Presidential Debate, which opened my eyes to the intricate landscape of mass media and the delicate details that go in to hosting an event broadcast on the national stage. Prior to working at Longwood, I worked in Residence Life positions at both Quinnipiac University and Appalachian State University.

Why did you decide to pursue a career in fraternity and sorority affairs?
Since receiving my master’s degree in College Student Development, my career has primarily focused on student growth and development. Empowering students to become positive members of their community and to develop personally is at the core of my passion for the field of higher education.
What do you hope to do during your time at Lehigh University?
As a practitioner, I am primarily focused on identifying methods that guide students and staff toward success through support and effective, collaborative resources. In my time at Lehigh I hope to serve as a guide in creating a strong, unified community, while developing strategies that inspire our organizations to offer exceptional membership experiences that compliment the Lehigh student experience. More than anything, I look forward to working alongside students, alumni and staff to create a culture that we are proud of and environment we can thrive in.

What has been your impression of the Lehigh Greek Community so far?
In my first few months at Lehigh, I have been increasingly impressed by the support and resources this community has. Our faculty, staff, alumni and external partners have a vested interest and commitment to the future of Greek Life on this campus. I look forward to using this commitment as a tool to continue pushing us forward in a positive direction. A great deal of potential exists in our community, I feel lucky and inspired to be a part of it. We will be celebrating 150 years of Greek Life at Lehigh in 2022; this will be an exciting milestone that I anticipate we will highlight and celebrate as a community.